Gremi is situated in Kvareli region, at a distance of 150 kilometers from Tbilisi. Built by Levan, King of Kakheti in the 16th century, it was an important town of Kakheti region in middle ages. In the 15th century Gremi was the residence of Kakheti Royal family. The construction occupies over 50 hectares of space, and is erected on the site, featuring highly contrasting relief. The construction is encircled by the wall with thousands of inbuilt significant facilities, the major of them being Domed Church of Archangel, built in 1565. The frescoes and inscriptions of the church date back to the 16th c. Dwelling tower, belfry, caravanserai, Nakulbakevi, bathhouse, fortress Sameba (Trinity) and other edifices belong to the 16th century as well.