Jewish minority has been living in Tbilisi since the city was founded. According to the sources that have come up to day, their main dwelling area was lower Kala. At this very time the Hebrews had the synagogue in Kldisubani, though it did not survive the time. The synagogue located on K. Leselidze Street was constructed in 1910. The brick building is deeply protruded into the depth of the sidewalk. The wide stone stairs lead us to the street. There is one more functioning synagogue in Tkavi blind alley in Tbilisi. But in the synagogue that was constructed at the teens of the 20th century on Anton Katholocos Street, the historic-ethnographical museum of Hebrews (founded in 1933) is disposed at present.
The museum was abolished in 1951 during the soviet regime; lots of important files that were kept in that building were distributed to the other museums. In 1992 the museum got back its funds and it started functioning again.