St. George Church of Kari is located in upper Kala, on Erekle the II square. St. Archangels church was built on this place by the King Vakhtang Gorgasali, and was destroyed during the Mongols attack at the end of the 14th century. In the 17th century three stone churches were built on the ruins of the previous church. These were: St. John the Baptizer Church, annunciation and St. George’s Church. Only the letter came up to day. It was renovated in 1710 by the brother of the King Vakhtang the VI, the prince Svimon, since the 18th century the St. George church has been functioning as the court church, and its name derived from here Kari (court). The Temple was repaired in the 19th century and in 1991-1992.
The hall type church has the entrance gate in the south and in the west, the lower part of the church consists of mixed layers of brick and stones, the upper part of the walls are utterly built with brick. The space in the interior is divided with the supporting arch.
In the west side of the church the two floored church tower, constructed in 1990, is located.
During the restoration work in 1976, archaeologists unearthed three tambs at the western wall dated back to the XIII-XIV centuries.
To the north of Erekle Square stands the simple palace of King George XII of Georgia - a two-stored building decorated with semicircular wooden balcony.
The temple is painted by icon painter Davit Morgoshia.
The temple opens the door for lunch for all the needy every day.
Please, contact us or simply follow the links to book private Tbilisi Grand tour or Tbilisi walking tour