St. George Church of Kari is located in upper Kala, on Erekle the II square. St. Archangels church was built on this place by the King Vakhtang Gorgasali, and was destroyed during the Mongols attack at the end of the 14th century. In the 17th century three stone churches were built on the ruins of the previous church.
St. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church located on Iv. Javakhishvili Street was built in 1870-1877 by the order of Konstantine Zubalashvili, the head of Roman-catholic parish and the supporter; the church was built according to the project of the architect Albert Zaltsman and this church is of earlier baroque style resembling the same style Roman churches.
The Armenian Norashen Holy Mother of God Church known is located in Lower Kala on Leselidze Street, next to Jvris Mama Church. The name ‘Norashen’ means ‘new settlement’ in Georgian. The first church was built on this place in 1740. The one that came up to this day was built in 1790-1796.
A long history preceded the construction of the catholic church in lower Kala, on G. Abesadze (ex –Catholics str.) street that dates back to the 13th century since settlement of catholic Christians in Tbilisi.
Tbilisi Central Mosque, or the Jumah Mosque - is located at the end of the Botanical garden, next to the Orbeliani bathhouse. This is a distinguished mosque where Sunni and Shia Muslims pray side by side. The eight angled Minaret of the brick mosque draws the attention even from the far distance and can be observed from various sides.
Blue Monastery, built after the name of St. Andria I, is located close to the center not far away from the Vera park. Its name is derived from the blue decoration of the roof (nowadays the blue decoration is replaced with the blue paint).
This Russian church is located at the foot of Mtatsminda mountain, on Zaldastanishvili Street, the church is of a hall type, roofed with a spherical, eight windowed domes in the east side and it catches the eye due to its whitewashed walls.
St. John the Theologian Russian Church is located at the end of L. Kiacheli Street, a few meters from the Blue Monastery near Vera Park. The brick church is whitewashed from outside, in accordance with the Russian tradition. The high bell tower, crowned with conical roof and “onion type head” is built on the western arm of the church.
St. Nicholas Church is located on the left bank of the Mtkvari River. The cathedral is a domed basilica with some buildings of a later period. The most remarkable is the eastern façade; the altar is lighted with the flat, arch type window that is placed in the double frame.
The St. Marine Church is located in Avlabari area, it is disposed in the depth of the yard and is surrounded by the residential houses. Built in the 19th century, the church is named after Saint Marina the Great Martyr (Margaret of Antioch).
A very proportional, moderately decorated church perfectly fits the cliff landscape of one of the oldest districts of Tbilisi. It is accessible with stairs-street erected on the slope, right below the mother of the Qartli.
Upper Bethlehem church among the other historical churches is located in the old Tbilisi area. According to the legend, the first church here was constructed by the Georgian king Vakhtang Gorgasali, founder of Tbilisi and it was one of the distinguished churches symbolically resembling the church of the birth of Christ in Bethlehem.
St. George Kvashveti Church is located on Rustaveli Avenue in 9 April’s garden, across the Parliament building. The frescos in Kvashveti were painted by the outstanding Georgian painter of the 20th century Lado Gudiashvili.
St. Cross Church known as Jvarismama, is located in the old Tbilisi area, at the crossing point of Leselidze and Jerusalem streets, next door to Armenian church Norashen. According to the legend, the construction of the first church in this place is also linked with the King Vakhtang Gorgasali, founder of Tbilisi.
Old Sameba (Holy Trinity) church is located behind the National Museum, just off the Rustaveli avenue. It was originally built in 1790, and rebuilt several times since then. Inside, the church is decorated with paintings, made by Italian painter Ludwig Longo in the 1890s.
Mamadaviti Domed Church is easy to spot from the center of the city, it is located high up on the hill of Mtatsminda (Georgian meaning: St. Mountain). It is accessible with a cable car, has a beautiful view of the city and is notable for pantheon of Georgian writers and public figures.
The palace of “Sachino”, former royal residence with an elegant balcony, is situated on Avlabari ascent. The palace was constructed in the 18th century by the order of the king Erekle II, for his wife, queen Darejan. It is one of the few royal residences preserved in Georgia. The word “sachino” means distinguished, eminent.
The Sioni Cathedral of the Dormition is situated in one of the oldest districts of Tbilisi close to tourist attractions, It dates back to the 5th - 6th centuries. The greatest relic of Georgia, the vine cross of St. Nino who brought Christianity to the country, is kept here.
The Holy Trinity Cathedral Church (Sameba) is the religious center of Georgia and one of the grandiose churches in the Orthodox world. It is the biggest functional church of Georgia and is visible from every corner of the city. The sacred items are kept in this church, amongst the unique handwritten bible of 1984-2004.
Anchiskhati church (basilica) is the oldest surviving church in Tbilisi and the second oldest one in Georgia, dating back to the 6th century. According to the historical sources it was constructed by the king Dachi, the son of the king Vakhtang Gorgasali (founder of Tbilisi). It is located in the historical district, in upper Kala, on Shavteli street.